If you are new, or wanting to learn about jiu jitsu, you may be wondering what the requirements are to get your first stripe for your white belt. This usually depends on your gym and instructor, but in today’s post we will strive to give you an idea of what to expect.
For starters, training in jiu jitsu is not like taking taekwondo classes in Raleigh. Taekwondo usually relies on strikes from the hands and legs, whereas jiu jitsu uses momentum and leverage. Jiu jitsu is an optimal form of self defense where a smaller person can overtake a larger, and heavier opponent.
To learn more about Brazilian jiu jitsu and how it can be beneficial for you, please call Gracie today.
What Are the Requirements for Your First Stripe for Your White Belt?
- Tying your belt correctly
- Bowing etiquette – You’ll learning how to “bow in” during your first night
- Shrimping (hip escape)
- Shrimp to knees (hip escape to the knees)
- Four point base
- Forward and backward roll
- Forward break fall
- Technical stand-up
- Basic judo stance and grips
- Basic wrestling stance and grips
- Countering a hip throw
- Breaking posture from the bottom
- Maintaining posture from the top
- Basic pressure and control from the top
- Basic frames and hip movement from the bottom
- Mount defense from the bottom
- Basic top control
- Proper arm position from the bottom
- Upa escape
- Rear mount (Taking the Back)
- Basic position for taking back control
Tired of Taekwondo Classes in Raleigh? Try Jiu Jitsu
If you are searching for Taekwondo classes in Raleigh, why not try muay thai or jiu jitsu instead? Gracie Raleigh offers the best mixed martial arts classes in the Triangle area. At our MMA gym, we’ll teach you how to become a full-contact fighter, to defend yourself, or just help you get in shape. Gracie offers MMA classes that serve as very efficient workouts, plus you’ll reap many health benefits along the way. Call Gracie Raleigh today and schedule your free class. There is no obligation to join the gym and you’ll be able to see if we are a good fit for your fitness goals.
Gracie Raleigh also offers affordable martial classes for children. Our junior’s program for muay thai and jiu jitsu will teach your kids lifelong lessons of respect, teamwork, hard work and dedication, as well as perseverance. There are no contracts or memberships for children so parents can feel good about not having to invest a lot, upfront. Please give us a call, or click here to get started with your free class.