When it comes to defining nutrition, just look to the US Lab of Medicine. They tell us that nutrition is the “science of food, the nutrients and other substances therein, their action, interaction and balance in relation to health and disease, and the processes by which the organism ingests, absorbs, transports, utilizes and excretes food substances.” What this means is that if you want to be able succeed in martial arts, or any form of physical activity, then you need to eat nutritious meals for optimal performance.
Regardless of whether you’re into taekwondo classes in Raleigh, jiu jitsu, or CrossFit, you need to have a good foundation for your overall physical wellness. This foundation starts with eating right and being healthy outside of your martial arts training. Without a strong nutritional component mixed in with your exercise, you’ll never reach your full potential. The old saying of ‘you are what you eat’ is actually true. The things you eat and drink are what fuels your body and allows you to have the energy to push forward when training gets hard. When you do not eat nutritious meals, you’re compromising your results with every bite.
Getting your nutrition back on track is extra hard work, on top of your training, and it is not easy. It takes dedication to make a real change to your daily eating habits. You have to be aware of everything that you are eating and drinking at all times. That’s not to say that you cannot have a cheat meal here and there, but for the most part, you should be cutting out all of the sugar, junk, fast foods, and soda from your diet. You’ll eventually thank yourself. You’ll feel so much better in the long-run.
Here are a few ways in which eating clean will help you. You’ll have lots more energy, stamina, and have sharper mental focus while training. You’ll also be able to recover faster between classes so you’ll be able to advance through the ranks much more quickly. Every day when you wake up, you’ll just generally feel better and will be able to push your training to new levels.
We’ve put together a list of ideas that will help you get your nutrition levels back on track.
- Keep your body hydrated and drink lots of water. Hydration is an essential element to a healthy body.
- Do not consume all of your daily calories by drinking them. For instance, avoid soda, fattening coffee drinks, and alcohol.
- Eat every 3 to 4 hours. This will keep your energy and metabolism levels up. Eat three daily meals and 1 – 3 healthy snacks every day. Do not skip meals.
- Eat plenty of fruit each day.
- Each meal should contain lean proteins, fresh vegetables, and whole grains.
- Vary your diet to ensure you’re getting all the right amounts of minerals, fats, and vitamins.
- Avoiding eating highly processed foods, and foods with saturated and trans fats.
- Avoid foods containing mostly artificial ingredients and coloring.
- Avoid refined carbohydrates like white rice and white bread.
Tired of Taekwondo Classes in Raleigh? Try Muay Thai Instead
If you are searching for Taekwondo classes in Raleigh, why not try muay thai instead? Gracie Raleigh offers the best mixed martial arts classes in the Triangle area. At our MMA gym, we’ll teach you how to become a full-contact fighter, to defend yourself, or just help you get in shape and lose weight. Gracie offers MMA classes that serve as very efficient workouts, plus you’ll reap many health benefits along the way. Call Gracie Raleigh today and schedule your free class. There is no obligation to join the gym and you’ll be able to see if we are a good fit for your fitness goals.