Every parent hopes that their child will be able to enjoy going to school and that they will make lifelong friends. However, this is not always the case. Many children have to deal with becoming a target for a bully. As parents, we want to stick up for our children and intervene for their well-being and happiness. The truth is that parents cannot always be right there when their child needs protecting from a bully. Helping your kid know what a bully is and what to do when they are bullied can help them respond when students act aggressively towards them or other students. Keep your child from getting bullied by enrolling them in our classes for martial arts for kids in Raleigh. Call us today to learn more!
What Is a Bully?
A bully is someone who name calls, teases, kicks, shoves, fights, harasses, or isolates other kids. Bullies choose their victims for a variety of different reasons. Sometimes they bully because they want what another person has, because the victim looks or acts differently than they do, or because bullying makes them feel powerful and strong. Bullying is done on purpose and is a serious and hurtful behavior that happens repeatedly. Talk with your child about what bullying is and encourage them to point it out in the community, on television shows, and in books. Remind your child that it is not acceptable for them to pick on others and that it is not okay for others to pick on them.
The Best Defenses Against Bullying
- Stay in a Group: Being in a group of friends makes you less likely to be targeted by a bully. Even just one close friend can make your child a less likely target for a bully.
- Flight Over Fight: While your child may have a background in martial arts or have gotten into a scuffle to defend themselves before, remind them that walking away is really the best option. Ensure that your child knows it is not cowardly to walk away from a situation that is escalating.
- Be Confident: Healthy self-esteem and being confident in themselves can help your child avoid being the target of a bully. If your child does find themselves in a bullying situation, being assertive, confident, and using a strong voice can help diffuse the situation. Many times bullies are looking for an easy target and kids who carry themselves with confidence and act confidently will keep bullies away.
- Trust Yout Gut: Being aware of what is happening around them can help your child avoid being the victim of an attack by a bully or a group of children who are looking to goad them into a fight. Not only is this an important skill to develop when it comes to combating bullying, it is also an important life skill as well. Being aware of your surroundings is key to protecting yourself from all types of dangers.
- Attract Attention: Yell, scream, shout, and attract attention when or if someone hurts or threatens you. The idea is to scare off a bully or attacker by drawing attention to the situation.
- Self-Defense as a Last Resort: Enrolling your child in a martial arts class offers them numerous benefits that will help them deal with a bully. Increased self-control and self-confidence will help your child be able to diffuse a bullying situation. Your child will also learn self-defense techniques that can be used as a last resort against bullies. Blocking punches, learning how to defend themselves from a group attack, how to get free when they are restrained, and how to remove a bully's fingers from their wrist are all common self-defense moves.
Best Martial Arts For Kids In Raleigh for 2018
Help your child defeat their bully with confidence building and character enhancing martial arts training from Gracie Raleigh. We offer the best martial arts for kids in Raleigh! Call or come by the gym today to get started.